Monday, May 14, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week 2012 - Find a Friend



Diabetes Blog Week began this Monday, May 14th. To participate I only have to do a diabetes blog post every day for a week. I think I can do that but we'll see. I have had diabetes going on 14 years and in the last year I have begun to discover all of the diabetes bloggers that exist on the internet. The intent is to create connections amongst the DOC (diabetes online community). You don't have to have diabetes to benefit from this community. Many of us know others who live with the stress of managing diabetes.  

This is the third year for Diabetes Blog Week and my first time as a participant. Started by Karen Graffeo of the blog Bitter-Sweet Diabetes, the first topic is Find a Friend. I have discovered that it really helps me to be able to talk to and read about what other people with diabetes go through and how they deal with managing this chronic illness.

One of the first blogs I stumbled upon was The Butter Compartment by Lee Ann Thill who is also an art therapist. I was intrigued by her blog title and discovered that this is where she keeps her insulin. I keep my 85% dark chocolate in my butter compartment and keep my insulin pens on the shelf just underneath. Lee Ann also puts on Diabetes Art Day which will take place on September 24th this year. I have already begun thinking of the artwork that I want to post for that day. She also organizes the World Diabetes Day Postcard Exchange which takes place in November of each year.

I stumbled on the Texting My Pancreas blog last year and I love her pragmatic, real-life way of blogging. I have discovered from reading the blogs of people with Type 1 Diabetes that they have some of the same issues that Type 2's have in terms of unexpected highs and lows.

If you know of any Diabetes blogs I should check out, let me know in the comments.

Tomorrow's post, Tuesday, May 15th - One Great Thing

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...