Friday, February 8, 2013

Reduction Drawing


I took a guest artist to my Thursday art group and we learned about Reduction Drawing. This is only the second time that I have ever tried a reduction drawing.

Reduction Drawing is a technique where you cover the paper with charcoal and create your drawing by smudging and removing the charcoal with an eraser to create the darks and lights or shadows and highlights. This time I was able to focus more on the lights and darks than on the 'lines' of the still life. The more I worked on the drawing, the more lights and darks I could see. While this drawing has many posibilities for improvement, I was surprised at how well I can distinguish my shapes, especially the glass vase in front of the plate.

Everyone in the group was willing to jump in and try it, even though they were all beginners. They loved it. We've decided our next lesson will be painting landscapes. I'll report back. 

As always, your comments are welcomed. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...