Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mixed Media for Fiber Arts: Experiments & Examples (part 1)

Everything interests me! I am a creative. I make quilts. I make beaded jewelry. I make wire-wrapped pendants jewelry with metals. Over the last couple of years I have had an increasing desire to combine these mediums on/with fabric. These ideas have been fueled by my membership in the Mavericks, a contemporary art quilt chapter of the Arizona Quilters Guild. This creative group of men and women love to create with fibers and fabric and think outside the box on a regular basis.

I did a presentation to the group about my experiments with combining different media with quilting. Below are some shots of my examples using various papers, Golden Gel Mediums, and metals. For this post, I will focus on Gel Mediums. These experiments were all done using Golden Gel Mediums because that's what I happen to have. My guess is that other brands are equally good, so experiment away. Oh, and, have fun!


Vintage Glitter Glass glued w/
gel medium to fabric

Extra Coarse Pumice Gel - applied
 thru a stencil.

Extra Coarse Pumice Gel
colored w/ Lumiere


Extra Coarse Pumice Gel 'plain'


 Closeup - Tar Gel over
 magazine cutouts
Clear Tar Gel sample.


Glass Bead Gel 'plain'.
Glass Bead Gel - colored with Lumiere


Papers collaged with Soft Gel
Gloss Medium - closeup

Soft Gel Gloss Medium -
collaged papers
Next Mixed Media post - Paper - recycled, commercial, from around the house.
Molding Paste - colored & plain
Thanks for visiting! Feel free to share your questions, comments, reactions . . .
If you want to link to a blog post or website to share work you've done with gel mediums, especially on fabric, use the Mr. Linky widget below (I'm just trying this out for the first time so if it doesn't work, let me know in the comments) Thanks!!!!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one of the most creative people I know. I had never thought of using Lumiere to add color! And while I have several Golden's pastes, now that I've seen it, I think tar gel is my next purchase!

Rosaland Hannibal said...

Aw shucks, thanks Quinn (grin). I usually reach for Lumiere first but I think you can use anything. I love the Clear Tar Gel and I think they have one that is 'self-leveling' I would get that one.

And thanks for leaving the link. I'm glad to know that the widget works!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...