Saturday, October 30, 2010

In the Company of Creatives

Do you ever gather with your accomplices in art and healing. You know, the ones where you just get together to try experiments or just do show and tell or someone shares a technique that everyone tries. These kinds of gatherings make my soul say 'ahhhhhhhhhh', because I feel very much 'at home' in such a nurturing environment. It wouldn't even matter if we threw everything away at the end, well ok, maybe it would matter, but the most important part to me is the gathering, the sharing, the joy and delight that we express in our own ways as we listen, share and explore. There is such an exquisite sweetness to that process.

What is sad is that I often tell myself that I do not have time to participate in such things. And sometimes I am truly torn as to whether I should go to a meeting or gathering or not because of time, my lack of energy, a lack of funds . . . But every time I go, and I belong to several groups, I am always, without fail, left with inspiration, energy and excitement. It really does make my soul sing to be in the company of others who 'ooooohhhhh' and 'aaaahhhhhhhh' over seemingly ordinary things.


If you don't have such a group to go to, make one. Start one and let it evolve, like a piece of art. You only need one other person to start. Just start getting together, sharing and talking and let the flow of interests and knowledge lead you on your explorations. Others will be invited and the group will grow.

I am a firm believer that art heals. I know this to be true. And I know that it doesn't need to be a formalized, orchestrated 'healing process'. The healing begins, whether people are aware of it or not, from the moment people start to arrive and find themselves greeted by others who are like them. I find that what helps me most in a creative group is the give and take of positive and powerful energy that is exchanged when people share and answer questions and demonstrate and laugh and just enjoy the process.

Imagine having a holiday gathering that is a group of women who gather to do maybe collage to use for cards. Or small art postcards that can be sent to loved ones or strangers. Maybe painting fabric or paper for giftwrap. Making easy pamphlet journals for gifts. Everyone brings some supplies and everyone has fun creating something. There are so many possibilities. Create with other creatives!

And please let me know what you think about this topic in the comments. Or let me know what types of groups you enjoy nurturing your soul with. Thanks!

5 comments:

Bo Mackison said...

I think it's truly a great idea. I know art heals -- art healed me. But in all that mess of healing, friends disappeared. I'm searching for one, yes, even one friend, who would love to share art. I think with determination and in time, I'll find the first of many friends.

Rosaland Hannibal said...

And they are out there Bo. I think that often our friends don't know how to help us when we're healing and it seems like they become very distant. I know I don't reach out when I'm going through something.

So keep reaching out. I know you'll find more than one. What kind of art do you do?

sheila said...

Rosaland - Great Ideas. Looking forward to seeing you on the 11th to play!

Karen said...

I totally agree with you. Nothing works better for me than some type of gathering of like minds. Loving your new look on your blog. Good luck with Holiday Show. Miss ya!

Unknown said...

Doing art with others is always so satisfying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...