Friday, March 15, 2013

Stitching on Air Part 1

 





 My first attempt at sewing on air.



Phoenix Quilt Artist Nancy Green had an article in the October/November 2012 issue of  Quilting Arts Magazine about 'Stitching on Air'. The moment I saw it I knew I had to try it. In all my years of sewing, it never occurred to me that I could stitch across empty spaces. But it works!


After my first experiment you see above, I jumped in to try doing a small piece.
The fabric is a brown scrap that I sponge painted using two or three of my favorite Lumiere paints by Jacquard. Once heat set, I fused it to a piece of Fast-2-Fuse fusible (on both sides) stiff interfacing and cut out my rectangles. 



 Then came the satin-stitching around the edges of the open space before beginning the really fun part - stitching! I simply stitched slowly and carefully from edge to edge. These photos show the first pass of stitching. 


My apologies for the not-so-great photos. Click on any photo for a better look. 

Stitching on Air Part 2 coming soon. It is still a work in progress.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...